4 Common Signs of Nursing Home Abuse

December 13, 2016

What are the signs of nursing home abuse?

When you suspect a loved one is being abused in a nursing home, consult a lawyer to learn about your loved one’s legal rights.

By recognizing the signs of abuse, you can also help your loved one.

According to the Office on Women’s Health and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, signs of elder abuse include:

Physical abuse:

Involves hitting, slapping, beating, pushing, shoving, kicking, pinching and burning.

Signs of physical abuse include bruises, black eyes, welts, cuts, wounds, sprains, dislocated bones, untreated injuries, rope marks, burns, broken eyeglasses, sudden behavioral changes, refusals to let family visit, running out of prescription medications too quickly and a loved one telling you about being physically hurt.

Emotional or Psychological Abuse:

Occurs in the form of threats, harassment, intimidation and isolation from friends, family or regular activities.

The signs you may observe include the person being unusually upset, withdrawn, rocking, biting or sucking, along with telling you about being mistreated.

Sexual Abuse:

Includes any unwanted touching, evidence of which can include bruises around breasts or private areas, unexplained sexually transmitted diseases, vaginal or anal bleeding and the elderly person telling you about sexual assault or rape.


Involves failing to provide proper food, clothing, medicine and personal hygiene.

Signs of neglect include dehydration, malnutrition, untreated bedsores, poor hygiene, untreated health problems, unsafe living conditions, unsanitary quarters and the person telling you about the neglect.

Should I hire a nursing home abuse lawyer?

If you even suspect your loved one has been victim to nursing home abuse or nursing home neglect you need to speak to a nursing home abuse lawyer right away. If you live in St. Louis, Missouri, Illinois, or the surrounding areas, you can contact Donna Clark Frayne, an experienced nursing home abuse and personal injury lawyer.